Smith and Wesson SD9VE - SD9 - SD40 - SD40VE
Smith and Wesson SD and SD VE are semi-auto handguns available in both 9mm and 40S&W calibers. Handy sized and good looking, these lines of pistols are designed to deliver 16 rounds wherever you aim, quickly and accurately. See features, specs and reviews below.
SMITH AND WESSON SD / SDVE REVIEW VIDEO
SD & SD VE OVERVIEW
Smith & Wesson is known for engineering quality pistols, and the SD handguns are no different. If reliable consistency, performance, and accuracy are boring, then the SD is the most boring pistol on the market. You can’t beat the simplicity with which it achieves these basic desires of every gun owner.
- The SD series of handguns has no frills, and that’s precisely what makes it great. It’s a two-tone pistol that comes in either a 9mm or a .40 caliber, content to let the Signature and Performance Center models get all the attention.
- There’s nothing overly complicated about the design or assembly, which makes it a perfect choice for first-time gun owners who are intimidated by all of the fancy stuff. It’s not overly engineered, and because of this, it is reliable and accurate.
- It doesn’t have all of the fancy features of some of the other pistols out there, but its quality manufacturing means it goes like the Energizer bunny. With 4-inch barrels, the SD handguns shoot circles around a lot of the 9mm out there.
- The Smith & Wesson SD pistols have a Self Defense Trigger that provides optimal, consistent pull from the first round to the last.
- Dovetailed white dot sights enable accuracy while the Picatinny-style rail allows for the mounting of accessories.
- The ergonomic, textured grip, textured finger locator, and aggressive front and back strap texturing make for a comfortable, stable shooting experience.
- Choose between the gray frame finish or dark earth finish of the SD, or the more stylish stainless-steel barrel and slide with black polymer grip of the SD VE models.
- SD9 9mm 4 16 Round Black / Grey Smith and Wesson 11995
- SD9 9mm 4 16 Round Black / Flat Dark Earth Smith and Wesson 11998
- SD9VE Stainless and Black 16 Round Fixed Sights 9mm
- SD40VE Stainless and Black Fixed Sights .40 SW Smith and Wesson
SMITH AND WESSON SD9VE FOR SALE
The Smith & Wesson SD9 VE is the 9mm version of the SD VE line of handguns. It features the same simplistic design and high accuracy.
SMITH AND WESSON SD9VE REVIEW
While the Smith & Wesson SD9 VE is a budget pistol, you’ll be hard pressed to find any evidence of that in the product itself. It’s a quality-built piece with budget production in all of the right places. There are no signs of poor assembly, only solid craftsmanship.
As AmmoLand put it: “Combined, these aspects, along with its extremely affordable price, position the SD VE as an amazingly utilitarian pistol. It can go anywhere, take a beating and keep performing.” (1)
The SD9 VE is easy to use with a magazine release and slide release where you expect them to be and a no-frills, point and shoot operation. Takedown for cleaning is easy, but frankly, the SD9 VE seems to just keep on shooting whether you clean it or not. The grip is comfortable, the front sights make it easy to aim, and both produce surprising accuracy.
“I really wish I had a cool story to tell y’all about double feeds or stovepipes, but I don’t. Dead nuts reliable.” (2) The trigger has a long travel, which is the primary complaint, but the six-pound trigger pull is manageable.
SMITH AND WESSON SD40
Once again, the Smith & Wesson SD series has produced something attractive, comfortable, and accurate, but this time in a .40 caliber. The SD40 is another quality piece of craftsmanship at an affordable price.
The SD40 is a simple, no frills piece of machinery that’s easy to operate and never malfunctions. The loaded chamber indicator, magazine release, and slide release all operate as expected. The rear serrations on the slide are just the right amount of aggressive. Takedown is straightforward, but the gun doesn’t seem to mind whether it’s clean or not. The simple design is what makes it so accurate and reliable. Nothing is getting in the way of good shooting. It adds to the stiff trigger, but it also retails for less than a lot of other pistols that aren’t as reliable.
“So is the SD40 VE an improved version of its predecessors? I would say almost certainly that it is. The trigger, while heavier than some of the other mainstream polymer pistols on the market is not unmanageable — if the person behind the gun knows what they are doing.” (3)
SMITH AND WESSON SD40 VE FOR SALE
The Smith & Wesson SD40 VE offers the same consistency and reliability as the SD40, but with value sights and a slide finish.
SMITH AND WESSON SD40VE REVIEW
If you enjoy the look of a satin finish, this is the SD VE model for you. The slide is finished in a smooth satin for a more polished look with the same rugged performance and functionality as all previous SD VE models.
“The stainless steel slide is coated with a black Melonite finish. Melonite is the same finish used on the Smith & Wesson M&P pistols, and in my experience, it has worked every bit as good as the Tennifer finish found on the Glock pistols.” (3)
SMITH AND WESSON SD AND SD VE HANDGUNS - LAST WORD
The SD series is happy to be your concealed carry gun, home defense ally, or range toy. It doesn’t seem to matter what you do. It shoots with reliability and accuracy time after time.